Monday 25 July 2011

The dilemma of birth control

This morning I had a visit to my GP to try and get some help dealing with endo.  As it is at the moment, the pain isn't severe by endo standards, and I know that there is only a small/medium sized endometrioma.

BUT, considering that I only had my laparoscopy in February, and the history of how these things tend to happen, I wanted to have the upper hand on the situation.  I wanted a PLAN!

I wasn't sure what I was expecting to be honest.  I'm seeing my clinic in a few weeks, and since he's also been my NHS consultant, I figured that he might be able to offer me some advice too.

What I didn't expect was for him to prescribe me the Pill.

I was prescribed it a long time ago to control heavy periods, and hubby has researched treatments/help for endo and suggested it.  Each time, there has been a quick and determined 'no'.

As ridiculous as this sounds, I feel that taking the Pill will take away the last dash of hope I have of ever having another child.

Yes, I know I'm infertile.

Yes, I know that I have not been using contraception for 8 years, and have only conceived with the help of needles, drugs and a team of people looking at my not-so-private, private parts.

BUT...what about "those" people that fall pregnant by surprise after being told they will never conceive?  What if I am going to one of those legendary stories that all infertiles hear about, but never actually meet?
What if one day my body decided to not be a complete waste of time, and do everything it was supposed to do?

Taking the Pill removes all chances of this ever happening to me.  It will take away the insane hope every month that there is a slight chance I might be pregnant.

I know this is beyond stupidity, but, hey, that's me I'm afraid.

Perhaps I can be the woman that gets pregnant taking the Pill?  I mean it's only 99% effective right? LOL

2 comments:

  1. It's such a mindfuck, needing birth control when you're infertile.

    Hey, maybe you COULD be that 1%, especially if it helps the endo! We're allowed to be a little off our rockers and think things like that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thanks for your comment. I think this whole infertility crap is just confirming that I am indeed insane!

    Least I'm not alone

    ReplyDelete