Tuesday 19 July 2011

About me

Hi, well, first things first - I'm Dawn.

I want this blog to document my life and all that it involves.  This is where I will try to reveal a little of what has brought me to this place.

Dawn, the infertile



Unfortunately, my history in this camp is long and painful.  There has been endless battles with ignorant doctors since the age of 12 about my periods and the pain I suffered each month.

I was given the Pill (BCP) to take from the age of 13, with minimal effect, but at the time this was better than nothing.  Even when armed with my own research, I was told that I was being a hypochondriac and the pains I experienced were 'normal period pains all women have'.

Only in August 2004, after moving house did I eventually find a GP that listened to me, and took me seriously!!!!  He was a true find :)

He referred me for a laparoscopy, and my own fears were realised when they formally diagnosed me with severe endometriosis.

By this point we had been TTC for little over a year naturally with no sign of success.

Following a couple of laparoscopies, we had three IUIs, all ending with BFNs.

We moved onto an IVF cycle in August 2006, 3 years after starting to TTC and we got our miracle BFP.

Endo still dictates much of my life, and we have never used any contraception since DJs birth in May 2007.

Recently we had an IVF/ICSI cycle, which though we got a BFP, ended in a miscarriage at 6 weeks.  We later found out that I was carrying twins.


Dawn, the Mummy


As I have said above, I am the proud Mummy of DJ, my little (well, not so little actually) IVF miracle.

Born in May 2007, everyday since has been filled with joy, discovery and happiness.

Being a Mummy is tough.  I had to go back to work when he was only 8 weeks old, leaving him at home with his Daddy, but I have given every inch of my life and soul to him and the job of being the best Mummy I can be to him.

DJ is warm, loving and fun.  I suppose this makes enjoying being his Mummy easy.  I love seeing him grow everyday, physically, emotionally and mentally.  But there is a part of me that is filled with sadness at every milestone because I am seeing my baby boy disappear before me to become a gorgeous well-rounded person.

DJ starts school in a few weeks time (September 2011), so there are many changes and challenges ahead...


Dawn, the student



After having DJ I returned to work quickly.  This was partly for the money, but also because they were making a number of redundancies and I did not want to be one of them.

I actually gained a promotion in April 2008, and as much as I loved my job, I was not happy.  Mostly because of a colleague of mine who was supposedly an equal, but was a sexual predator.  He made my life Hell for the 18 months I stayed.

I have always wanted to go to uni... it just never happened for me at 18.  I'm actually quite glad for that - I hadn't really got any idea of what I wanted to do then.  I think that you sometimes need some world experience to know that.  Anyway, S had got tired of my repeated regrets of not going, and with the work situation as it was, he told me to stop saying 'I wish...' and just DO IT.

So here I am... just about to enter my 3rd year of an undergraduate psychology with forensic psychology degree.  I plan to continue my studies after this, but for now, struggling with the demands of uni, motherhood and infertility, I just want to get through the next few weeks and my 2nd year exams!




I apologise for the the long winded intro.  Hope you enjoy the journey as much as I do (most of the time).

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment