Saturday 30 April 2011

IF sadness

There are many things about infertility which are filled with sadness.  I'm not going to mention the obvious ones here...if you are battling IF then you know them only too well and if you are trying to get an understanding of IF so you can support someone you know who is battling IF, then there is a plethora of info out there.

we are organising DJ's christening.  I know that he is nearly 4 and that we should have perhaps done it already, but we never quite got round to it.  If we are honest, there is one main reason why we have put it off - who are going to be his godparents?  We know that my sister and brother will be godparents, but we always wanted him to have 3 or 4.  And this leads me to the one of the saddest things about IF...you start to drift away from others. In our case, we started to see our friends having 2nd, 3rd or 4th babies and we found that we were less able to cope with the heartbreak each announcement brought.  Though our friends didn't know about our IF, I think they could sense the pain inside us when they shared their happy news.  I don't want you to think that we are awful friends - we were of course happy for them, and I never forget their children's birthdays.  But this doesn't stop the pain inside.

So we have found that we are more and more separated from our fertile friends.  So the once difficult decision to decide who would be DJs godparents was because we had a wide circle of close friends, it is now the reverse.

This fills me with great sadness, and I wish I knew how I could rebuild those bridges that we once had.

No comments:

Post a Comment