Tuesday 8 February 2011

What happened to spelling?

After my previous post about social networks, I promptly logged onto my Facebook account as I had received a message from my sister.  Since we fell out earlier this week (nothing too serious) I thought it best to check what was the matter.

But while there I noticed something that has been bothering me for some time - why don't people write properly on Facebook.  Twitter has the limitation of 140 characters, therefore the poor spelling and grammar is expected - I see it as a duty to make the most out of the space that you have.  However, Facebook doesn't have such a restriction, so why on Earth do people insist on using such poor spelling and grammar?  What infuriates me more is the use of 'ii' instead of 'i'.  Do they realise that they are actually ADDING letters to the proper spelling?  Surely the purpose of slang/text speak is to SHORTEN words?

Now I know that we all make mistakes.  We are all short of time, we all need to do at least a hundred things per minute, and occasionally spelling falls victim to this. I'm not stuck-up about this, but those people that persistently abuse the beauty of the written word is infuriating to say the least.

So I have now listed the versions of words that I have discovered today:

  • wana - want to
  • boi - boy (and no extra letters or effort was used spelling it correctly!)
  • bin - been or being, not a waste receptacle
  • tu - to (again, no extra effort, so why?)
  • ova - over (only someone who has no obsession with their menstrual cycle, ovulation or fertility would use this!)
OK, I'm making myself cross thinking about this...but this is a sample from one person in the last 2 hours.  I know it might say something about my 'friend', but I haven't got it in my heart to delete her as she is the daughter of one of my only female friends.

But on a lighter note, today I had that quandary - when do I use 'effect' and 'affect'?  I am constantly getting this wrong.  I have looked it up hundreds of time, but it just doesn't stick.  So please, if you have any useful little tip as to when I should use them, share with me.  And if you have any words that bother you, again, share.  We're all friends here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment