Sunday 2 January 2011

Happy New Year!

I have thought about whether to do a look back at 2010 - many things have not been fantastic...well, they've actually been pretty rubbish, but there have been some bits which I can look back on and smile about.  Every year my mother-in-law buys us a cute calendar made up of photos of DJ and his family.  I keep this as a memory book for his days and adventures, so yesterday arrived and it came time to swap the calendars over.  I love our new calendar but taking a peek through the little scribbles in the boxes of the days of the last 12 months is always great too.  Unfortunately, the last few weeks have been tainted by DJ being poorly.  I'm starting to get worried about him, but the months before had been good in so many ways.  I've decided to share some of the highlights of 2010 (don't worry they're not all DJ focused I promised):

JANUARY - A very busy month filled with birthdays, starting with my Mum, then hubby and MIL (who share the same birthday), then FIL a week later.  Mixed in is Mum and Dad's wedding anniversary and a couple of friends birthdays too!  Just after Christmas, not what the bank account needs!  2010 was even more expensive though - my Mum turned 50 and then my MIL turned 60 the week later.  Mum decided that she was not celebrating any differently to any other year, and in respect of this I didn't buy a massive card with 50 emblazoned all over it - but my sister did (hahaha!).  However, for my MIL's birthday, FIL had asked me to arrange for her to have tea at the Ritz and invited us along as it was also hubby's birthday.  MIL had always wanted to have the whole experience, and so I booked a table for 4 and a special birthday cake to be delivered to the table.  It wasn't cheap mind you, but it was the most wonderful experience.  We all went down on the train and put on our glad-rags.  DJ stayed with my Mum and Dad so he had a great day too!  It was lovely, and I will remember it for a long time to come.

 Probably the most expensive birthday cake in the World - but it did taste devine!

 The after-math




FEBRUARY - The dullest month ever!

MARCH - March was filled with university stuff! So filled with stress!

APRIL - The definite highlight was my little brother's wedding day.  He was so happy and I was so very proud of him all day.  Though in early April, the weather was beautiful, in fact hot.  DJ was page boy, though he suddenly became very shy and would only walk down the aisle with his sunglasses on.  My sister was a bridesmaid, so he walked behind the bride looking like he should be in Reservoir Dogs!  I did feel bad, but both my brother and his new wife did see the funny side.  Knowing what I know now about my SIL I have no guilt, DJ could steal her thunder as she made her way to the altar!

With sunglasses still on, chasing confetti. Unfortunately, there are few pics of him actually smiling!

MAY - The month started badly with me being rushed to hospital and having to stay for in for a week.  But it always ends well - my little boy turned 3!  I am slightly emotional to think that my little boy has grown up but he is such a blessing and I am so very proud of him.

Two birthday cakes made by my own fair hand - one for home, the other for nursery. I was quite proud of my efforts though I was up until about 2am decorating the pirate ship!

JUNE - We went away to celebrate the end of my 1st year exams and DJ's birthday.  We were only away for a couple of days but it was great to escape for a while!

DJs pic from the SeaLife Centre. It was a great day - highly recommended!

JULY - DJ enjoyed the Summer with his Great Aunt. It was the first time he met her as she lives in Australia, but they got on amazingly from the second they met.  I know hubby was so pleased.

AUGUST - The heat was too much for me, so we had a few days playing in the garden in the paddling pool!



SEPTEMBER - Back to university!  Back to stress!  Also, our 7th wedding anniversary.

OCTOBER - Dulllllll!

NOVEMBER - My 30th! I was thoroughly spoilt the whole day!  But the least said about it, the better for me.  The realisation that I was getting old was a little too much for me on the day :(

DECEMBER - Christmas! This year was one of the best Christmas' I can remember.  I was surrounded by my family and the people that I love the most in the World.  DJ woke up and had the best day.  The best bit though was at bedtime when I asked DJ if he had had a good day and he replied:  "Yes, because I saw all my family".
Our trip on Santa's Express!

Sorry that this has been a long post.  I've found it great to think about the nice things of 2010.  As you can see, there haven't been that many.  The post of the cack that 2010 has delivered would be twice as long, but in the hope of starting 2011 positively, this will be great for now.

See you soon and have an amazing 2011!!!!
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Happy 2011 to you! This was a fun review of your year and I'm especially impressed with the cakes made by your own fair hand! December is really lovely too. Such a special little boy you have. :)

    ReplyDelete